26 June 2011

Two weeks

It has been two weeks since I left for my summer job. Before I left home, I was ridiculously busy. In fact, I had one or more activities EVERY afternoon for the last couple of weeks before I left. This made packing interesting to say the least, but I managed to get it all done.

Well, things apparently don't change in my world. I got here and promptly jumped right in to activities. Last Monday was simple enough, a trip to the mall and grocery shopping because having food is a good thing. Tuesday, a coworker invited me to lunch which was fun and a nice distraction.

Wednesday I had a photoshoot with a 3 year old and his 6 month old baby brother. It ended up being a photoshoot with the boys, along with their nanny's 4 year old and her other charge, a 4 month old little redhead. It was a blast and I was glad to visit with the family, who I hadn't seen since I was here in November.

Thursday night, I went out with my friend who lives here. A friend who I've known since she lived in Oakland and I was attending lots of games each year. She moved here several years ago and last year we went to see the Rockies and took a road trip to see the A's play in Kansas City. It was nice to catch up and visit what may well be my favorite bar.

Friday was baseball. Because it would be very unlike me to not attend a ballgame as soon as possible upon arriving in a major city. I went with a friend from twitter which was a blast. I have gotten way more comfortable with meeting new people, and going to a baseball game was probably the perfect setting for that.

Oddly enough I family that I've babysat for back home for a long time, who happen to be good friends of K and B's family were here for about a week and their parents had a bike ride on Saturday so I watched the kids. We went to the butterfly pavilion, the mall and for a picnic lunch at the base of the mountains. It was a long day with a lot of driving but it was also a lot of fun.

Sunday I attended a new church which I loved. It was perfect and welcoming and I can't wait to go back. In fact, I was comfortable right away and ended up attending their college and careers group on Thursday night. I can't tell you the last time I willingly attended a Bible study, but this is one I definitely will be sad to miss after I leave.

Week two was a little bit slower but not much - K and B came home Tuesday evening so it was nice to finally see them and take a trip to the pool, library and bookstore on Wednesday and Thursday afternoons. This weekend included a movie in the park with B and a BBQ about an hour and a half south of here.

I like how easily I fit into things around here, how easily everything just flows. I'm happy and relaxed which are two feelings that often sometimes escape me back home. I know that part of this is that everything is new and that things could change quickly, but I definitely could see my self living here long term. So for now, I continue the job hunt. Hoping for more success this year than last.


Chibi said...

So glad everything is falling together so easily and you're enjoying it so much! Crossing fingers you have mucho success on the job hunt. :)

Stephanie said...

I am also a certified teacher who has been subbing and waiting for a position to open up! It is something that has NEVER happened before and not that I'm dying to teach, they are laying teachers off. Nuts!

Good luck to you!

Al_Pal said...

Very cool. Love the baseball part, especially!
I'm excited to go to the San Diego park next week. ;p